10 Healthy Snacks for Diabetics
10 Healthy snacks for diabetics
No-one enjoys low sugar levels at any point during the day, so we have put together a healthy snack list to pull you through the dreariness of the day.
1. Pecans, Almonds, or Cashews. We all know these are a very satisfying treat. They are low in calories, fat and sodium aka salt; which we tend to overdose on daily. They are easy to take along anywhere which is an added advantage.
2. Edamame beans. Very tasty and filling. If like me you get tempted to add more salt, don’t give in, rather add herbs or other spices that are naturally low in sodium to keep the salt content low.
3. Light Tuna. Light tuna with low mercury levels tastes great and has a high a nutritional content. You can add salt-free crackers to make the snack more exciting before your next meeting. Cucumber sticks for that crunchy and refreshing taste are also awesome.
4. Asparagus Spears and Egg Whites. Yum yum. This works better for those who work from home or over the weekends. Doesn’t take time to make and amazing vitamins and protein. This can actually be a starter when hosting your next dinner party. Just swap the egg whites for home made hollandaise sauce.
5. Avocado and Salsa Dip with Carrots. One avocado with any fruit salsa; pineapple or mango and you’ve got the best dip. Cheap, simple and very tasty. And if you hate chopping carrots, like me – grate them and mix it all with the dip and eat it all with a spoon as you watch your favourite movie. No-one is going to see you and judge you anyway. Your body however, will love you for it.
6. Peanut Butter, Cinnamon, and Celery Sticks. Best way to curb your appetite, so could work for those who are trying to change their eating habits. Pretty good if you are going to hit the gym later or have a marathon ahead of you.
7. Eggs. Eggs are a great snack and loaded with protein. If you decide to fry, use cooking spray to avoid overloading on fats. If not, a hard - boiled egg does wonders too. No need to worry about calories here.
8. Popcorn. We all love it. Butter-free and with moderate salt seasoning and we are good to go.
9. Apples. Please do not peel off the skin. The skin contains lots of fibre which aides in digestion. The apple has loads of antioxidants and tastes good anyway.
10. Whole-grain crackers, grapes, and cottage cheese. Lots of calcium, lowers cholesterol and very filling.